This date marks the 47th Anniversary of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Celebrate the National Lakeshore’s birthday with the final Star Party of the summer. This will be a great occasion to observe the night sky, Mars, star clusters, nebulae, and distant galaxies. The location will be at Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive, Stop #3, from 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM. Please park at Picnic Mountain; the next right after Stop #2.
Independence Day gets celebrated usually beginning the day before the 4th with some free, local live music, followed by things to do for everyone. On the “Old School House” lawn – bring your chairs/blankets. From 7 – 8pm, on July 3rd, the Northport Band plays live. FREE to attend, Donations to the Band welcomed.
On the 4th:
The Flag raisingceremony takes place at 10am in Old Settlers Park (located on the corner of Dunns Farm Road and Burdickville Road – CR 616). Organized by Glen Lake Women’s Club, the ceremony begins at 10 am with Invocation by Pastor Logsten of Empire United Methodist followed by Boy Scout Troop 105 presenting the Flag Raising paired with patriotic songs performed by Summer Singers. Key Note: Laurel Jeris / Glen Lake Woman’s Club: Daughters of Liberty – Roles of Women during the American Revolutionary War. Cookies and lemonade for everyone and Children to receive US Flags!
Head on down to Glen Arbor and shop/dine – most places are open for at least half the day for visitors. Grab a spot and enjoy the big Parade downtown Glen Arbor beginning at 12pm. Parade leaves from Glen Haven then makes it’s way through to the North/East end of town.
If you’re a boater, you can join in on the boat parade 4th of July evening on Glen Lake beginning at 4pm in front of the Yacht Club.
To Participate in the Parade…
Want a front row seat at the parade? Volunteer! We always need as many parade volunteers as possible.
Volunteers can pick up a parade t-shirt at Art’s Tavern the week prior to the 4th. Bring your own broom to help walk with the parade and sweep the candy back towards the crowd, to keep kids off the street and safe.
Want to participate in the parade?Everyone is welcome! Bikers (kids and families) and Walkers can join in the parade starting at the Christian Science Church. Cars and Floats participating in the parade, please meet at Glen Haven to line up 45 min prior to the parade start time. The parade begins at Noon.
Adventure and beauty awaits
There’s tons of things to do, in and around the Glen Arbor area. From Dining and Shopping, to the arts; Beaches & Boating and a variety of outdoor recreation; to specific places to visit that are great for kids & families. Visit our “Things to Do” page to get started on your Pure Leelanau adventure.
Visit the National Park ~ Discover a new hike, trail, scenic drive or outlook or ride.
Visit our Events page to see what other businesses and community organizations are up to.
Join Park Rangers and astronomers from the Grand Traverse Astronomical Society (GTAS) on Saturday, June 24 at the Dune Climb parking lot. On this date, two events offer you opportunities to focus on the sky. The first event is from 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM, and will allow visitors to safely view our closest star, the Sun, using a solar telescope. The second event will be from 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM, and is a great chance to view distant galaxies and star clusters, as well as the evening planets of Jupiter and Saturn. Please park in the row furthest from the dunes with your headlights facing M-109.The event will be cancelled for inclement weather or if the stars are not visible due to cloudy weather conditions. The decision to cancel will be made two hours in advance of the event; please call 231-326-4700, ext. 5005, for a voicemail message with the decision.
Explore, Learn, Protect! Kids of all ages are welcome to come and learn at Junior Ranger 101 on June 24th! Families can take part in fun activities and learn the basics of being a Junior Ranger. Learn about lighthouses, NPS history, animals, and more! Complete all of the activities and earn your official Junior Ranger patch.
Junior Ranger Day activities will take place 3:00-6:00 p.m. Visitors will meet park staff at the Dune Climb parking area for this free event. Families are welcome to come and go, but plan to spend one hour with park rangers to earn a Junior Ranger badge. For your safety, visitors are encouraged to consider personal comfort needs and bring water, sunscreen, and appropriate footwear. Please note, participants will be asked to sign a photo/video release.
Junior Ranger Day event is free with a park pass. Passes may be purchased at the Phillip A. Hart Visitor Center in Empire, Michigan, and cost $15 (per vehicle) for seven days, or $30 for an annual pass.
Comments Off on Noteworthy things to CELEBRATE in 2016 around Glen Arbor
Glen Arbor, it’s residents and business owners all look forward to Memorial Day weekend, where most of all the seasonal shops are open for the season by this weekend. It’s usually nice weather and is a great kick-off to the summer. There’s been some nice changes in town you can look for when you visit, and some noteworthy things to celebrate in the community! Join us and and #findyourpark at the Sleeping Bear Dunes ~ we might be bias, but it’s our favorite National Park 🙂
The Heritage Trail is undergoing another completion of a new section being added this season: from Port Oneida Historical District, NE along M-22, ending at Bohemian Rd. in Maple City.
• Glen Craft Marina has been in business for 70 years!!! Wow! When it comes to the Glen Lakes and boating, they know what they’re doing!
• Northwoods Hardware opened a new sister store this year, Northwoods Home & Gift, offering “Home accessories, Thoughtful gifts and Unexpected surprises.” Visit northwoodshardware.com for more on what’s new around Northwoods.
• Synchronicity Gallery will celebrate it’s 20th year in business. It will undergo a re-brand this year, gallery openings during the summer, staying open later for after dinner summer shopping, and a few other fun updates! Like and follow them on Facebook year-round for artistic inspiration.
• The Good Harbor Grill opens for its 25th season on May 21 ~ Congratulation Ann & Brendan!
• Momentum apparel shop has new owners ~ stop in to say Hi and Welcome, and see their get some Glen Arbor and Lake Michigan garb.
• Century 21 Northland / Northland Vacation Rentals has moved across town into a new space, located at: 6391 W. Western Avenue, Glen Arbor
• The Sylvan Inn and the Gersenson’s other property, The Lakeshore Inn, both underwent renovations and updates this winter/spring, open and ready for the summer season. Visit www.sylvaninn.com for more.
• Serbin Real Estate will be moving to the west end of town and is renovating the building before moving in. Stop in and say hi to Rob Serbin and his real estate team once they get into the new location, at: 6675 W Western Ave., Glen Arbor. Visit serbinrealestate.comto search their listings and the MLS.