Ride, Hike, and Ski the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail
This is the only bicycle trail in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. In winter it is groomed for cross-country skiing (both classic and skating styles) and snowshoeing. For more information about winter use of the SBHT, including Ski Conditions and Fat-Tire Bike Rules, check the Friends of Sleeping Bear Winter Page.
The trail is mostly paved but has a short section of packed gravel through the Port Oneida Rural Historic District. The trail spans about 20 scenic miles between Empire and Bohemian Road (CR-669). It is also pet friendly. Please leash and clean up after your furry friends.
Trail Maps and Trip Planning
Paper maps are available for a $2.00 donation at the following locations. These donations are used for Trail maintenance and operations – including ski grooming.
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Visitor Center in Empire
- The Cannery Boat Museum in Glen Haven
- DH Day Campground, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- The Cottage Book Shop, Glen Arbor
- The Cyclery, Glen Arbor
- Northwoods Hardware, Glen Arbor
- Empire Outdoors, Empire
- Grocer’s Daughter Chocolates, Empire