Picture-Perfect Sleeping Bear: The Rest of the Story
December 15 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pmFree
The Friends of Sleeping Bear Dunes will present Picture-Perfect Sleeping Bear: The Rest of the Story at Glen Lake Community Library, 7 pm, on December 15th. Modeled after Paul Harvey’s famous radio program: And Now You Know the Rest of the Story, there is so much more to tell than what fit into the pages of our best-selling book. After a short introduction of the book, the following featured speakers will share funny and informative insight into our area history…
* Mike Bolton is a 4th generation resident and Large Animal Veterinarian. He will share “The County Line (and a River) Runs Through It! A Brief History of the Centennial Manning Farm.”
* Dave Taghon, an Empire resident all his life, has been instrumental in the creation of the Empire Area Museum. He will talk about Empire history, what’s preserved in the museum, and the museum’s 50th anniversary.
* Amy Ellison, a local massage therapist, will share behind-the-scenes stories of what it was like being a “clerkette” for her grandmother, Elsie Warnes. Elsie taught her young employees by sprinkling life’s lessons with lots of laughter.
* Dale DeVries is a retired Michigan school teacher, who has spent his retirement years photographing landscapes and wildlife. He will display some of his popular photos of the Sleeping Bear Dunes area and will offer photography tips to help you capture your own memories.
* Kerry Kelly, retired from DOW Chemical and current Chair of the Friends of Sleeping Bear Dunes will round out the program with park and Friends updates. We invite attendees to bring their own stories and photos to share. Photographs can be set out on tables or shared through a jump drive on a computer screen.
Shop for the special gift bundle, available online at: http://lifeofthesleepingbear.com/